Friday, May 1, 2020

Pāngarau - fewest squares & neighbourly addition

Rāmere te 1 o Haratua

Fewest Squares
1. Draw an 11 x 13 rectangle (or use the one below).
2. ‘What is the fewest number of squares you can draw inside of your 11x13 rectangle?’ 
3. Click on the link (youcubed) to watch the video. 
4. Ask questions via email if you need help.
5. Video or write about what you found out.

















































































































































11 x 13 grid


                                                     
Neighbourly addition


As I walked down the street, I noticed that all
of my neighbours’ house numbers were odd!
I added three house numbers together as I walked
past: 7 + 9 + 11 = 27
Further down the road, I passed some bigger numbers.
I added another set of three neighbouring house
numbers: 15 + 17 + 19 = 51
Can you find some other totals that you could make,
by adding together the house numbers of
three next-door neighbours?
Once you’ve found a few totals, here
are some questions you might like to explore:
Is there anything special about all the totals?
Is there a quick way to work out the total?
Can you predict what would happen if I
walked down the other side of the street instead?
Are there any patterns if I add together
four house numbers instead of just three?
Or five house numbers?
Or…?
Can you explain and justify the patterns
you have noticed?
I have shared this as a doc in your drive
as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment